Thursday, 26 December 2013

2013 Wrap-up

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had wonderful Christmas celebrations and Happy Holidays! I hope you had a great time with your loved ones, with good food and good conversations, much laughter and joy.
And for those of you who had a hard time during the holiday season for whatever reason I am glad for you that it is over.

As I write this introduction the remainders of my candles on the Advent wreath are slowly burning down. The end of the year is approaching rapidly which means it is time to wrap up the past year.

So, here it is, my first attempt for a blog hop. I asked my readers on my blogiversary in November to join me as I wrap up the past year, as I already did in 2012. I am very curious - and nervous! - to see how many will link up with me or if there will be anyone at all. Anyone who wants to join me can link up their post until December 31.


This is my way to wrap up the year and I hope you will have fun in joining me. Remember the year by answering a few short questions and, in doing so, reminisce the good stuff and shake off the not so good things in order to start your year in a positive way and with plenty of new energy and open-mindedness for the good things to come.


Joy @ i can say mama: 2013 Wrap up



1) Gained or lost weight?
Still the same as in 2012.

2) Predominant feeling in 2013?
Anxiousness whether Sunny's transition to school would work out fine.

3) Predominant feeling for 2014?
Uncertainty of what lies ahead for our family (we still have problems with the authorities and those problems are weighing down on us)

4) Something you did for the first time in 2013?
Ride to the hospital in an ambulance
Learn that Sunny had a seizure
Sew a curtain

5) Something you did again in 2013 after a long pause?
Back a cake for the weekend regularly

6) Something you unfortunately did not do in 2013?
Swim in the ocean. Again. :-(

7) Word of the year?
School

8) City of the year?
Cologne and Salzburg

9) Hair longer or shorter?
Always the same... I would love to have a different hairdo but the structure of my hair does not allow too many different styles, unfortunately (at least that is what my hairdresser tells me).

10) More or less money spent?
Too much for clothes... :-/

11) Highest mobile phone bill?
I do not know actually... I think around 40 Euro or so

12) Hospital stays?
Unfortunately, yes.
Two because of Sunny's hemiparesis/seizure

13) (Fallen) In love?
Still in love like in 2012.

14) Most called person?
My friend whom I met in May 2012. My parents.

15) Whom did you spend the most beautiful time with?
Once again, my friend from Austria whom I visited in August. It is always so relaxing when we meet.

16) What did you spend most of your time with?
Doing the laundry, chores, picking up toys from the floor, going to therapies and appointments with Sunny, Internet

17) Song of the year?
"Meine Soldaten" (My soldiers) by Maxim. God, I love this song!


18) Book of the year?
"Let's pretend this never happened" by Jenny Lawson
(1 - because I only finished this one book this year (reading another one at the moment though) and
2 - because I really loved it and laughed a lot while reading it)

19) TV show/movie of the year?
"Gravity" starring Sandra Bullock

(Credits)

20) Insight of the year?
School is a wonderful place, Sunny has an awesome teacher and I should try to stop worrying too much in advance.

21) Three things you totally could have done without?
Hospital stays
My struggles with procrastination
Our problem with the authorities and the impact it has on our family

22) Most beautiful event?
The nativity play where Sunny was a cute little lamb <3

23) More short-sighted or more far-sighted than 2013? 
My eyes stayed the same, Sunny's far-sightedness slightly improved.

24) The most dangerous thing you did?
Overtake a lorry and then suddenly see a car on the other lane, coming towards my car very fast. I accelerated as hard as I could and made it just in time. I felt unter pressure to overtake the lorry because the car behind me had been tailgating me. Never again! 

25) The most expensive thing you bought?
A vintage lambskin coat 

26) The most delicious meal or food you ate?
It is impossible for me to narrow this down...

27) The best party?
The 40th birthday party of my friend which was themed "Oktoberfest". The girls wore Dirndl, the boys wore Lederhosen (and no, we do NOT normally wear these kinds of clothes! Actually I had to borrow mine from a friend. ). I went to bed at 4:00 in the morning and it was the first night ever that I was away from Sunny and from home. It was such a blast!

28) The most important thing you wanted to convince somebody of?
Sunny's new teacher that Sunny needs a communication journal and that I need her support for this. Turns out I was preaching to the choir :-)

29) The most beautiful present you gave to somebody?
My farewell presents to Sunny's kindergarten teachers.

30) The most beautiful present that somebody gave you?
A pair of gorgeous high heels a friend gave me out of the blue. 

31) The most beautiful sentence someone said to you?
It was Sunny telling me "I love you, too".

32) The most beautiful sentence you said to someone? 
When I called my husband to tell him "The principal just called once again, Sunny will be staying in his class."

33) How will you celebrate New Year's Eve?
We will stay at home and celebrate with my mother-in-law again.

34) What will you have for dinner?
We do not know yet, we will either have Raclette or Fondue chinoise (with broth).

35) What drinks will be in your glasses to clink?
I guess we will enjoy some Champagne again.

36) Will you ignite any fireworks? 
- I think there are states in the US where it is not allowed to ignite private fireworks on New Year's Eve so for all of you who are not allowed (or other countries where this is not allowed): What is a special tradition you normally do on New Year's Eve every year? Will you do it this year, too?
Last year, Sunny was a bit afraid so we only tried one or two skyrockets. However, just recently he and I talked about fireworks because there had been one in his book and he seemed excited. We will give it another try again this year.

37) What are you going to wear? Comfy or glamourous?
Comfy!

38) Did you have any resolutions for 2013? And how about 2014?
My plans for 2013 were:
- Taking better care of myself: I really did that, at least when it comes to medical checkups. They are all crossed off my list. This year I had a health scare and that reminded me that this is an essential thing that I really need to stick with.
- Read more: Check. I try to read at least one or two pages each night before I turn off the lights. This means that I am very slow and reading a whole book takes a lot of time but it is better than not reading anything at all.
- Apply for Mother-Child Convalescent Care: I did not do that because Sunny's paediatrician advised against it. Will have to talk to her in a quite minute about that again since I think it would be good for us nevertheless.
- Become more uncluttered and organised: Um..... still working on it 8-)

My plans for 2014 are:
- End procrastination!! Or, at least, get better at it
- Continue to read
- Think about Mother-Child Convalescence Care again
- Continue to become more uncluttered and organised

39) What are your wishes for the new year?
I will just take the ones from 2012 because they have not changed:
- That Sunny finally starts talking more and more! And if not, that he learns to use the talker quickly to let us know what is going on in his cute little head!
- That all my loved ones including myself stay healthy.
- No hospital stays!

40) In one word: 2013 was...
tough








PS: By the way, a big THANK YOU goes to Lizzy @ Considerings for helping me with the blog button and the InLinkz widget. It would have taken me so much time to figure this out all by myself! You rock, Lizzy! xo

~~~~~


24 comments:

  1. I will be linking, Joy - just have to fill up the answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your post! :-)

      Delete
    2. Finally finished! You really gave me some tough things to think about, Joy! This was a great thing to do - reflective and fun at the same time! Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
    3. Finally finished! You really gave me some toughies to think about, Joy! This was a great thing to do - reflective and fun at the same time! Thanks for hosting this. :)

      Happy New Year to you!

      Delete
    4. Love that you took the time to do it! Thank you!

      Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this link-up, Joy! Loved the revision of 2013. I'm so glad Sunny got to stay in his class, and you could enjoy some quality YOU-time! Looking forward to 2014 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for linking up, Stephanie! Will check out your post tomorrow at the latest!

      Delete
  3. I think I got linked up! Thanks for creating this Joy, it was really fun to take a look back at the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Misty! How cool that you took the time to answer the questions! Will check out your post tomorrow at the latest!

      Delete
  4. *HUGS* you're so welcome. I love that you've done this awesome link up - and I love the questions. You have some fabulous answers there, and I'm looking forward to going off to do my post now. I'll be back :D

    (pics of you in the expensive coat or I won't believe you ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Lizzy, thank you so much for your support and for linking up! I skimmed your post (not much time today) and read so many great things! I cannot wait to read your post completely!

      As for the picture.... I'll see what I can do for you ;-)

      Delete
  5. Oh man....I would love to do this! What if I don't answer ALL the questions? Will I get in trouble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course NOT! Just answer as many as you want or can. Would love to see you at the blog hop! Just go for it! :-)

      Delete
  6. I wanna see the coat too! Thanks for a fun link up joy! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna see the coat too! Thanks for a fun link up joy! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up! I will see what I can do about the coat! ;-)

      Happy New Year, too!

      Delete
  8. i could use a book that makes me laugh. I'll be checking out the Jenny Lawson book.
    You all have had some rough moments, for sure, but there are so many good things in here, too. Thank you for taking the time to come up with the questions and learning the ways of InLinks. I don't think I'll ever be so brave. :)
    Have a wonderful, peaceful new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Christine! Looking forward to reading all of your responses!

      In the end it was not as complicated as I expected it to be!

      Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  9. Totally just linked up finally today Joy and thank you so very much for doing this. Had so much fun answering all your questions. Happy New Year to you and your family now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool that you linked up, to! So much looking forward to reading your responses!

      Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  10. Finally finished and linked up! I loved The Blogess's book. I just love her.
    Cheers to 2014 being a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so cool and hilarious, isn't she?

      Thank you so much for linking up!

      Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  11. Hi Joy! I love your list! I emailed you to see whether it's ok for me to link up without answering everything! If it's not, feel free to delete me! Here's to champagne on NY Eve, Sunny's progress, and to ending procrastination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristi! Sorry, I did not get any e-mail from you but of course it is totally okay that you did not answer everything! No way I am going to delete anything! Thank you so much for taking the time to link up! Hope you had a wonderful New Year's Eve celebration! xoxo

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Please talk to me! :-)